In 1086 the archbishop held the manor of 'Meddestane' (Maidstone). It comprised arable, meadow, woodland, a church; five mills and two eel fisheries. There were also some 25 villagers, 21 smallholders and 10 serfs. In addition, three knights held more arable, meadow, woodland, a mill, two eel fisheries and two salterns, and 32 villagers, 10 smallholders and 10 serfs lived there. The combined value was £35.10s.
The place name of Maidstone first appears as de maeides stana and again as maegdan stane in Saxon charters of c. 975. It may mean 'the maidens' stone' (Maegoastan) or 'the peoples' stone' (Maegoastan). The latter may be the more likely as there seems to have been a megalithic tomb in the vicinity, which was used as a meeting place for the people of the surrounding territory. The name can be traced to its present day form thus:
c. 975Old English de maeides stana/maegdan stane